GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE
Custom Search

Tributes Flow for Mbah Surip as Indonesian Fans Say 'We Love You Full'

JAKARTA LIFE'S STYLE. Tributes have flowed in from the entertainment industry and fans for Indonesian reggae star Mbah Surip, who was reported dead on Tuesday morning at Pusdikkes Hospital in East Jakarta.

Entertainer Dorce Gamalama said she was sad and shocked upon hearing about Mbah Surip’s death.

“Four days ago Mbah Surip came to my house at 10 p.m.. Being the humble man he was, he arrived on an ojek,” Dorce said, adding that Surip’s death in a small hospital was symbolic of his humble nature.

“He was a very dear man, very down to earth, very real. Who could forget his “I love you full” greeting?” she said.

Dorce said everything happened to Mbah Surip quickly after he shot to fame with the hit song “Tak Gendong Kemana Mana” (“I Will Carry You On My Back Everywhere”).

“The song made him an instant celebrity. The song was old but he revised it and it became his masterpiece,” she said. “I believe it is God’s will that he left us so soon. I will miss him so much.”

Hasief Ardiasyah, associate editor of Rolling Stone Indonesia, said he was “shocked” at Surip’s passing.

“He leapt from anonymity to stardom in such a short time, and now he’s suddenly gone,” Hasief said. “At least he managed to have his 15 minutes of fame. While I’m not a huge fan of his music, from what I’ve heard, those 15 minutes couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.”

On social networking site Twitter, the singer’s name quickly became one of the trending topics as news of his death circulated and fans joined in remembering the man and his music.

“He made music with his heart, he always made people smile in any situation. My deepest condelences for his death,” said Twitter user Vanessa Paramitha.

“I respect him and his non-mainstream music, he reminds me of Kurt Cobain,” fan Seno Eko added.

Even people who did not count themselves among the ranks of Surip’s fans said they were inspired by his story.

“I have to admit I never caught on to his famous song, which was unfortunate, as it was an endearing and inspiring rags-to-riches tale,” said Web designer Cy Williamson.

Tributes also flooded the wall of Surip’s Facebook fan page, with many taking the artist’s famous greeting, “I love you full,” and using it as a heartfelt farewell message for the singer.(thejakartaglobe.com)






0 komentar:

Post a Comment

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

RECENT COMMENT